TRAC Statement on Proposed 2016-2021 Collective Agreement Ratification
July 30, 2018
TRAC Statement on Proposed 2016-2021 Collective Agreement Ratification by Members
On July 25-26, after a long year of negotiation and mobilization, Teaching and Research have voted unanimously in support of the proposed 2016-2021 Collective Agreement (39 votes in support, 0 vote against, 1 abstention vote). Here are some important highlights:
- Rights to protection against psychological and sexual harassment, as well as incivility, in the workplace;
- Strengthened language around intellectual property rights;
- As of June 1st, 2020, only one pay rate for TAs and Markers and therefore only one type of contract;
- Paid Health and Safety Training;
- Living wage for undergraduate RAs as a result of significant pay raise for all RAs;
- Extended deadlines for grievance submission (up to 30 days from the end of the contract in which the incident occurred);
- Retroactive pay for all TA and RA contracts starting from April 30th, 2016;
- And more.
Please read the full summary of the proposed changes to the Collective Agreement here: http://trac-union.ca/2018/06/21/collective-agreement-as-of-june-21st-2018/2018_ratification_nego_summary_eng-2/
This is just the beginning! Now that the Collective Agreement has been ratified by you, the final step before its legal adoption is its ratification by Concordia’s Board of Governors come this Fall.
Our Collective Agreement is only a tool that must be applied to protect your rights and improve our working conditions in the context of growing workers and students’ precariousness.
Here is what YOU can do to support the rights and values promoted by our newly proposed collective agreement:
- GET INFORMED: learn more about our proposed collective agreement online, come see us during office hours, or attend one of our many upcoming orientation events (complete calendar TBA).
- JOIN THE CONVERSATION: come to our upcoming contract hours clinics in your departments to discuss your issues with contract hours allocation (email [email protected] for more info).
- GET INVOLVED: become a Delegate by attending our Delegate Council Meeting this Friday (see below) or join our Equity Committee by attending its next meeting (see below).
TRAC will be working hard to inform our membership on our proposed collective agreement and to ensure its proper application once it is fully ratified. Your involvement and solidarity are what make all of this possible and this union strong.
As always, we thank you for your continuous support and we look forward to hearing from you!
The Executive Committee of TRAC
Teaching and Research Assistants at Concordia (TRAC)
PR-205, 2100 Mackay St.